Sunday, October 3, 2010

Let’s Be Different: Part II

As I rode the bus with T daily, we grew closer in our friendship. I learned that she was a vegetarian. When explaining how she made that decision, I was encouraged to do the same. Being the meat lover that I am, I'm not sure I will ever be able to make that choice, but I will continue to limit my meat consumption. T was the first to introduce me to thai food and the culture of the city. For instance, one weekend she decided to take me to a street fair and get henna tattoos. Although I never anticipate on getting a real tattoo, it was a fun and new experience for me. Another evening we went to this Moonlight Fire Jam, where people within the city congregated at the beaches and watched as professionals twirled fire.

    I think the most influential thing T did for me was introduce me to her friends. Of course she explained her friends as different and of a wide range of backgrounds, but coming into contact with them was a whole new scenario. One girl I met was from a big Mexican family. Being of this decent, everyone was hugged and smiled at. No judgments were made and everything I said was important. Another girl I met was a shy and quiet individual. She didn't really talk in big groups but really opened up when we sat next to each other on the bus. And another girl I met was rambunctious. She didn't care what people thought of her and felt the need to share how she felt about the actions of other people with me, with no mind filter at all.

    After meeting all of T's friends and their different personalities, I came to realize that the differences in each one of us is what makes the world go around. Who cares if everyone is different? It is my choice of who I want to be and everyone else's choice of who they want to be. So let's be different, and cherish each other's true identities.

No comments:

Post a Comment