Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Whatever happened to unconditional love?

    This past weekend my parents and I got into a bit of a tussle. See, I accidentally ran into one of our parked cars in the driveway while backing out with my own. I am actually a really good driver and am always careful, but without looking over both shoulders, I found myself up against our other car.

    Immediately after the incident I ran inside crying. My dad didn't say a word to me and my mom just told me to get my act together and slow my life down so I could go to an important meeting. After calming myself down, I left the household. When I returned later that evening my parents weren't home yet. I resorted to locking myself in my room and doing homework for the remainder of the evening. I didn't emerge, instead I went to bed. As Monday passed, my parents continued to neglect to talk to me. I arrived home from school and walked through the room they were sitting in without a word. That evening, they called my sister down for dinner and neglected to call me. Eventually, my parents sent my sister up to my bedroom to tell me there was leftovers on the stove if I wanted anything. Really? Are we going to play the messenger game or something here? Tuesday went by with still not a single word. To be exact, it was 72 hours without talking. It was like living in a ghost house where people revolve around you but deny your existence.

    I'm still trying to figure out how exactly the silence was broken. I think it had to do with a combination of me being fed-up with it and my parents realizing I was their daughter too. To be completely honest, I know my parents love and support me through everything. They show this unconditional love that can never be broken; no matter what I do. However for some reason I thought it could go away. Vanish. Disappear. This idea is wrong. No matter how mad and frustrated one seems to become with their parents an unconditional love is like nothing else. Parents are truly the most remarkable people one will ever meet. We are theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment