Sunday, January 16, 2011

It’s the Little Things

Teachers are very respectable people. There has never really been a teacher that I have hated. Of course there are those that stick out a little better than others, but the not so great ones I usually forget. Plenty of my posts could be dedicated to those teachers that have changed the person I am, because most of them have, but it is the particular ones that I will chose to write about. The ones that I truly admire.

I currently have a teacher, although he may not be very knowledgeable, the way he treats and understands his class is very respectable. On veterans day we wrote letters to veterans, thanking them for their service. This activity was not necessary. Teachers have so much curriculum to cover that activities like this are usually disregarded. Being someone who strongly supports our armed troops, I saw the activity as a lesson in its own. The students learned that thanking the veterans is truly important.

Another specialty the teacher provides for us is homemade jelly Friday. Each Friday, he brings a jelly that him and his family have made and we eat it on crackers with cream cheese. The activity makes me motivated to want to come to class. As a student that loves to learn, that means practically nothing. But if it motivates me to want to come to class more, I can only imagine what it does for the other students. Even though students should not be "bribed" to come to school daily, I feel like for some students, the snack makes them more excited about learning. The money spent on the jelly he makes is from his own pocket. As a teacher he doesn't make too much to begin with, but he still gives everything he has to the students.

These two examples may seem strange and out of place, but it's the little things that count in life. The journey is more important that the destination. Therefore, when meeting people that care about and contribute the little things into my life, I really respect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment