Sunday, January 16, 2011

We Can Make the World Better

As most teenagers do, I babysit. I have always loved kids and the creative imagination they have. One moment I can be considered a princess treated in luxury, and the next moment I may find myself as a ninja. The whole time I love it. Although I have this natural love and easiness around kids, I have been unfortunate to have very few families call me to babysit. Whenever I do I try to make a good impression, charge the cheapest rate (cheaper is better), and make the kids like me (to a point that they will still listen to me). Even with all this effort, I often times fail at encouraging business.

Through all my struggles, however, I have been capable of keeping a relatively continuous family to babysit for. The parents of the family respect me and trust me with their children, which is a big thing. The mother of the family is currently pregnant and with their third boy on the way, it becomes questionable if I will ever babysit girls. I have all these girlie craft supplies and activities in my closet, but there is no way to use them. Despite this fact, the boys that I interact with have, in a way, shaped the light through which I look at the future generation after me.

One of the boys is 9 (we will call him Ch for the purposes of this blog), he consistently listens, and there have been very few circumstances where he has not. Although he stays quieter, his knowledge is quite strong. If he ends up in the right crowd when he is older, his intelligence will be scary. The other boy is 6 (we will call him Co for the purposes of this blog). This young one is rambunctious. Every time Co jumps from the couch or in the air I am terrified he will break something, but he always rebounds with a smile. One time, however, I had to call his parents because I thought his arm was broken. While babysitting these boys over the summer, I practice school items with them. For instance, we do math flash cards and read for long periods of time. On the other hand, they often watch television, despite my disapproval. The boys also carry a vocabulary that should not be learned at such a young age. Words that I've never said before flow right out of their mouths, and I highly doubt they know what the words mean. So is this the future we want?

On the bright side, these boys know never to do cigarettes, but with drugs, they have no clue. Is this the future we wish to create? Schools today are so populated with drug addicts that this problem needs to be solved, but at the elementary school level. When learning that cigarettes are bad, children should also learn that drugs are bad. By, in a sense, brainwashing the children, it will ensure a bright future.

As of now I'm guessing you've figured that I just ranted over two separate topics, but to be honest, they are completely related. It is the future generation that can save the corrupt world. Most people's times have passed. The duty falls upon us to react; we can make our world the world we wish to live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment