Sunday, January 16, 2011

Responding Instead

On January 1 of this year I started a "New Year's Resolution" as one may call it, but I refer to it as the "New Life's Resolution". I decided to stop eating meat. I'm not going to hide the fact that in one point of my life I loved meat. I thought that all of the people who didn't eat meat were crazy and so on, but then I came to realize that if I aspire to do something with animals, I need to set the record straight to the world. In other words, I have decided to lead the change by example. So far, so good.

Even more recently, I watched a video in Advanced Placement Language Arts class about the food industry and how corrupt and wrong the system is. The movie is called Food, Inc. and as a reader I highly encourage you to watch it. The ethics and manipulation used in processing our food is sad. After watching the movie, I confirmed that my switch to vegetarianism was a good choice. Might I note that I really have respect for the people who spoke up, out, and produced the video. By doing such things, they are educating the public to make smarter choices and change the way others eat.

The evening after the movie was over, I went on a rant to my parents about how good the movie was and the reasons they need to see it. Unfortunately they responded negatively, with a poor attitude and a distaste in thinking about the industry in the new light I had recently seen it in. To be completely honest, I'm increasing disappointed in my parents. All they have to do is watch it. I never asked them to become vegetarianisms or any such things like that. After I gave them a fiery lecture about the importance of their involvement in issues, they disappointed me even more. They said that my generation can take care of it. The truth of the matter is, if we expect change we need to do something about it now. As one generation passes issues off to a next generation, the issues keep piling up. We need to act and we need to act now. So my hope for the future is that someday maybe I'll meet people who will respond, instead of wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment