Saturday, April 2, 2011

Powered by the Heart: Part II

    Upon getting to know Alli better I realized she was far from centered on herself. She would help me get through my tough days, and I began to encourage her to be the leader I knew she always was. It wasn't until last summer Alli told me about her dream. She wanted to bike across the United States to raise money for a health related issue. As Alli told me about her dream, I encouraged her, but I have to admit there was doubt in my head about whether or not this dream would actually occur.

Sure enough this summer Alli will be riding from Canada to Mexico to raise money for the American Heart Association. She will be riding on average 90 miles a day. Her trip will take her across six states in 27 days. Her total trek will cover 2,200 miles. That is a ton! Alli's goal is to raise $10,000 and I've never had more confidence in a project than this one. What truly inspires me is I know she is doing it for the right cause.

Alli applied for college last fall. She entered multiple scholarship competitions and came up a little bit short in the one she really wanted. If Alli had done this project a year earlier, the scholarships would have flowed in like a river. She would be going to school for free, I am convinced. However, Alli wants to do this to make a difference in the world. She didn't decide to do the project for money to get into college or to be the student every college wants. Alli wants to make America healthier.

Whenever I think about Alli leaving next year and the situation it leaves me with, I begin to cry. Alli has been incredibly influential in my life. There has never been a time when she has encouraged me more. Alli will not be going close for college. There is no way my parents will ever let me drive to see Alli on the weekends or over breaks. Hopefully I will be able to raise enough money to buy a plane ticket out there for Thanksgiving or something, but with my college slowly approaching, the chances of this occurring are slim. As other friends, along with Alli, leave for college, I become more and more scared our friendship may break off. I have made a promise to myself, to not let this happen. Alli has encouraged me more than any other person I know, including my parents, to follow my dreams and who I want to be later in life. She has inspired me to make the biggest difference I can in the world before I die. Alli holds me accountable for what I say and do. Even more than these things, Alli is one of my best friends and I hope to keep it that way. I am so glad the paths of me and Alli Koch crossed in life and I hope that someday every person will have a chance to meet Alli or someone similar.


 

To see the difference Alli is making in the world and help her cause visit this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment